Legrand Discontinues the ALC and PLC Lighting Systems!

sic0048

I just got this email from LeGrand. I think it speaks for itself.

email from Legrand said:
Dear Legrand Customer:

Effective today, we are announcing the discontinuance of our ALC and PLC lighting control product lines. For more than a decade, ALC and PLC have been key On-Q product offerings, providing robust, hard-wired lighting control solutions for our customers. However, due to the changing marketplace and our desire to improve the product offering we deliver to our customers, we have decided to discontinue these lines of lighting control products.

This change is effective immediately. In an effort to ensure a smooth transition for our customers, we will take the following actions throughout the next few weeks:

All ALC and PLC products will be removed from the standard product section on our website (www.legrand.us/onq). However, you will still have access to product support information in the Discontinued Products section.
In addition, for those customers interested in continuing to use our ALC and PLC products, we have formed a partnership with Genesis 13 Lighting to supply the full product lines moving forward. You can learn more about Genesis 13 Lighting and set up an account at www.genesis13lighting.com or by calling 1-864-663-0013.
Genesis 13 Lighting will honor the one-year On-Q warranty on all ALC and PLC products.
Genesis 13 Lighting will also be providing all future technical support on the ALC and PLC product lines. This includes support for products purchased from Legrand prior to this transition. For technical support assistance, please contact Genesis 13 Lighting at 1-864-663-0011.
In addition, please note that we will begin offering information on a new line of lighting control products in the next few weeks. Scheduled to be available in early 2010, our RF Lighting Control line will provide you with the perfect lighting solution for homes of any size.

If you have any questions regarding this transition, please feel free to contact your local Legrand sales representative or call customer service at 1.800.321.2343, Option 2.

Thank you in advance for your continued support -

Thomas P. Cunningham
[email protected]
Lighting Control Product Manager
Home Systems Division
Legrand, North America

That sucks IMHO. Not totally unexpected since they hasn't been any development in the ALC line in quite a while, but it still sucks. Maybe there will be some good deals on hardware soon. I guess we'll see what Genesis 13 does with it. Whether it will be a dead product line, or if they will take the ball and keep it rolling.

According to there website it doesn't look like they are going to let it die:

The staff at Genesis 13 Lighting has been technically involved with the ALC product line and the home automation industry since its creation in 1996 and will continue to develop enhancements and new products.

SETNET (Genesis13) is the new owner of ALC lighting. It seems to be a deal that has been in the works for a while. Now you know why the constant ALC sales pitch from number20 (SETNET). I will never use another ALC item in any installation. It really stinks when a small distributor of automation products becomes the sole producer of a product line. There is a huge conflict of interest here, that is why Tony took the Genesis13 name. He should have really at least used a different address for the two companies. There are no professionals who will use ALC anymore although it is a great product. I doubt SETNET ALC can exist on DIYs alone. It is a shame. So long ALC old friend I've enjoyed working with you. I guess hello Crestron lighting, Lutron HWI or Centralite. There is certainly a huge gap to fill there. ;)

It really isn't OnQs fault. ALC sales have been dwindling ever since HAI stopped promoting it. ALC is largely a DIY product. There are very few professionals who use it. I use it with a Crestron front end as an inexpensive hard wired lighting system. I really am sorry to see it go, but I will not deal with SETNET, no how no way. This is not a knock against SETNET. They might be a great company, just not for an integrator who makes his living on this product line.

SETNET (Genesis13) is the new owner of ALC lighting. It seems to be a deal that has been in the works for a while. Now you know why the constant ALC sales pitch from number20 (SETNET). I will never use another ALC item in any installation. It really stinks when a small distributor of automation products becomes the sole producer of a product line. There is a huge conflict of interest here, that is why Tony took the Genesis13 name. He should have really at least used a different address for the two companies. There are no professionals who will use ALC anymore although it is a great product. I doubt SETNET ALC can exist on DIYs alone. It is a shame. So long ALC old friend I've enjoyed working with you. I guess hello Crestron lighting, Lutron HWI or Centralite. There is certainly a huge gap to fill there. ;)

It really isn't OnQs fault. ALC sales have been dwindling ever since HAI stopped promoting it. ALC is largely a DIY product. There are very few professionals who use it. I use it with a Crestron front end as an inexpensive hard wired lighting system. I really am sorry to see it go, but I will not deal with SETNET, no how no way. This is not a knock against SETNET. They might be a great company, just not for an integrator who makes his living on this product line.

So what other system would you recommend for those of us who already have all their CAT5 wiring in place? As I understand it crestrons lighting system needs proprietary wiring in order to function. What other lighting systems can utilize CAT5?

SETNET (Genesis13) is the new owner of ALC lighting. It seems to be a deal that has been in the works for a while. Now you know why the constant ALC sales pitch from number20 (SETNET). I will never use another ALC item in any installation. It really stinks when a small distributor of automation products becomes the sole producer of a product line. There is a huge conflict of interest here, that is why Tony took the Genesis13 name. He should have really at least used a different address for the two companies. There are no professionals who will use ALC anymore although it is a great product. I doubt SETNET ALC can exist on DIYs alone. It is a shame. So long ALC old friend I've enjoyed working with you. I guess hello Crestron lighting, Lutron HWI or Centralite. There is certainly a huge gap to fill there. :(
I'm not quite sure I understand the logic here. To me it seems like this is a great deal - a company that has been involved with ALC for a long, long time and one of it's biggest backers gets to take on a product line that was being neglected by it's owners. I fail to see how this can be a bad thing? Nobody seems to indicate that Smarthome has a conflict of interest in selling INSTEON products... they may say that the products are crap, but that's a different issue ;)

To me this sounds pretty exciting - maybe with a new owner we'll see some invigoration in the line. Having a new owner of the technology who happens to be motivated and interested in it seems to me to be the best thing to happen to ALC in a while.

Well I hope Genesis13 can take the ALC line and make it better, but I think that is going to be a long uphill battle. I was hoping that Genesis13 was a larger company with the resources to expand the line. I'm afraid that probably isn't the case. As much as I respect and like Setnet, it sounds like the principals had started Genesis13 with the sole purpose of keeping the ALC and PLC lines going. But as a startup company, there may not be a lot of cash or other resources to expand the line like it needs. Without some more basic devices - like a lamp module - I'm araid ALC will not be able to compete with the other lighting systems.

Only time will tell what happens. I truely wish the best for ALC and PLC and I hope the Genesis13 can be successful.

Hmm... I hope Tony will make an appearance in here and provide a bit more info. One thing I just found out which DOES disturb me a little is that the ALC switches at SetNet are close to 50% more expensive than they used to be. Dimmers are showing as $150 and regular switches around $130. I'm sure that these prices are MUCH higher than they used to be and a quick Google seems to confirm that as I can find ALC switches elsewhere for ~$85 for regular switches and ~$95 for dimmers.

To XCL223
I would appreciate the chance to prove you wrong. Initially your assumptions annoyed me, but I am over that and will say that you are just plain wrong on a number of fronts. You know little of what you speak, but you are forgiven in advance. Actually I thank you because I can now come back with some accolades I normally would not share otherwise.

Yes, Genesis 13 lighting is in the Stewart family. It is in fact my Son Anthony's company. And yes we are small. But, let me clear up some things.

1. The original creator of the line in 1996 was a consultant named - Tony Stewart (that's me and I’m still here).

2. The original Electronics design Engineers on staff (at then AMP Building Systems) was Gary Axe, the original Software Engineer was Dale Rupert. Both of these folks have stayed involved with the product throughout its history. Better yet, both of those guys will continue with the line (they no longer work for OnQ) as contractors to us. And yes, we plan on expanding the line and would appreciate some suggestions from you folks.

3. As far as our ability to support "PROFFESSIONALS" My original role was as a contract trainer for OnQ and since that date in 1995 we have held over 9,000 classroom days of training for Professionals. To date I rarely see a DIY'er in attendance. Further, we at SETNET are now and or have been authorized to provide factory training for many manufactures in the industry. Today we teach factory authorized classes and customized material of our own in a $250,000 automated classroom. How’s that for a small potato, southern hillbilly, family owned business!

And since you are implying that we don't quite fit your ideal role as a supplier let me continue to air this out a little more.

And by the way, I do love the DIY guys. That's why we support them and believe they are a good resource for our industry. As a distributor shipping nationwide since 1996, I have actually had major manufacturers threaten me for supporting DIY'ers.

If my support of the DIY folks has caused you to brand me a DIY supplier, then that’s sad.

As for as capability to professional support professionals let’s discuss that in depth.
1. I was a member of the original 12 board of director for the home automation association now called CEA Techhome (I guess you could call me a founder of our industry).

2. Before that we were installers like you. During the years between 1991 and 1995 we worked for the wealthy and famous market. If you want to compare installs, then bring it own. We know the market from every angle. Actually our install history saw Stewart Electronics installing electronics in homes since 1976. How long have you been a professional?

3. I taught the first “Boot Camp†at the first home automation trade show and continued in that role for several years.

4. Recently, myself and a team of our SETNET “Professionals†installed a system that I designed for a Lou Gehrig’s patient allowing him to control his entire home with his eyes alone! This team of professionals that volunteered their time would debate the lack of SETNET professionals or their skill set.
By the way, we installed lighting that OnQ donated in this project. It was actually PLC not ALC because of the install being a retrofit. I say this to tell you that with proper skills and troubleshooting quality X-10 like the OnQ PLC can work flawlessly (we also took on the PLC products as well).

I will stop right here, but my dog’s pretty smart too and my dad was also a hero of mine!

So let’s get specific about ALC and its future.

If you are looking for conflict then of course you will find some. Yes, we also distribute and now will manufacture. But let’s first define a manufacturer.

On-Q Legrand does not make any products themselves. ALL products are built by outside companies. Bet you did not know that. The truth is that few of the brands you are familiar with actually make anything. Instead, their Engineers do the designs and the products are built elsewhere. Much of which is made outside of the United States.

We too will do the same thing. ALC is not made in any of my buildings. But I did invest in more test equipment and built test jogs that surpass what OnQ ever had. So now, how big do you have to be to be a manufacturer? Calls to us for tech support will not fall on the ears of rookies.

A number of ALC products were made in China. My son, Anthony Stewart intends to end that. But this will be at a price. Currently the molds for the plastics on ALC switches (not interfaces or circuit boards) are sitting in China. We need to get them back (they weigh over 3,000 lbs) and then ship them to our US assembly house. This will take several months to boat the molds to us.

My friends at OnQ should have done this before now, but they did not. And they kept the parts in China to keep the price low. But today, the Chinese and other off-shore resources are raising the prices considerably. So, its time for a change.

Two weeks ago we brought all stock of ALC part numbers into our SC warehouse by motor freight. While we have several years supply on some part numbers, other are low. But we have placed orders to increase the stock with a new U.S. assembly house and are waiting on the molds to arrive for them to start. Chances are we can still ship what you order in the meantime.

The move from China to the U.S. raises the price. This can’t be helped. I wonder how many of you who fuss about off shore manufacturing really mean what you say? Having these kind of things made in the U.S is simply more costly.

SETNET and GENESIS 13 Lighting (which is actually Genesis 1:3) are debt free and has always been/will always be. We will never be forced out of business. No large company can say that. My father and I started the business and my son and his children will continue it. Bankruptcy is not a possibility and as such we can support the product better than a publicly held company!

Our offices, training center and warehouse is built of family land that we own and can walk too. Maybe that makes us small potatoes, but it sure feels good to us. We are paying cash for every thing we do. If that’s not healthy – what is?

Is Genesis 1:3 a startup company? You decide!

As for conflict the model of a manufacturer also being a distributor exist throughout our industry. Elk Products and Systems Depot, Insteon and Smarthome. And there are others. It’s possible that some distributors will not keep ALC, but to date none have said say and several new ones have contacted us.

In the end you can do whatever you want. But be big enough to come back here is a couple of years and be willing to eat some crow!

For the rest of you, don’t fear the future of ALC or our ability to support it. For the next few weeks, we will be fixing holes in the boat. Then we are adding sales reps and then we will develop new products. COUNT ON IT!

XCl233, I annoyed you some I am sure. Forgive me. But the laundry had to be placed on the line.

Lastly, we prayed hard over a product name. Genesis 1:3 says “Let there be lightâ€! If our integrity or small size annoys you then I will not be allowed to serve you. This business really does not belong to any of the Stewart family. Instead we have it on loan as a tool to serve others. I hope you become one of those that we can serve.

God Bless and Merry Christmas

Tony Stewart

Hmm... I hope Tony will make an appearance in here and provide a bit more info. One thing I just found out which DOES disturb me a little is that the ALC switches at SetNet are close to 50% more expensive than they used to be. Dimmers are showing as $150 and regular switches around $130. I'm sure that these prices are MUCH higher than they used to be and a quick Google seems to confirm that as I can find ALC switches elsewhere for ~$85 for regular switches and ~$95 for dimmers.

Two things.
1. Prices are higher. Anything in curculation from other sources should be purchased now while they last.
2. On-Q under my license agreement with them has set the base for the future product sales and for the stock I purchased from them. Add that to the increased cost of moving parts from China to the U.S then the prices you see are correct.

Please email me with your concerns and I will copy that to OnQ. But until a "petittion exists, I can do nothing.

[email protected]

Congratulations with the new company Tony. I've been to your facilites and they are very nice. I've always gotten great service and support as well. Clearly those attributes will be part of the new company's culture as well.

It is good to hear from the "horses mouth" when it comes to the future of ALC and PLC.

Edit - fixed spelling mistakes.

Back