Decent Price on a 2TB hard drive for $115

Already Dead - Dell uped the price $25 so it is now $139.99 after rebate.

Darn, Darn, Darn, Darn....

Wow, I must have JUST snuck under when they upped the price.

I paid $156 after tax, then will mail in the rebate.

--Dan

I know! I ended up buying a Samsung 1.5tb drive for $90 from Newegg yesterday. That is just a hair more expensive per GB ($.06 vs $.0575), although Bing CB helps bring the price even closer. But I would have still liked the larger drive to cut down on the number of drives used.

SIC, that's what I liked. Looking at the price per GB, then the price per watt, the larger the drive, the better it seems to be.

--Dan

The huge drives make me itchy...just seems like you can lose even MORE data due to a single drive failure. They keep getting impossibly big which begins to make them impossible to backup too.

The huge drives make me itchy...just seems like you can lose even MORE data due to a single drive failure. They keep getting impossibly big which begins to make them impossible to backup too.

Is your "itch" due to the time it takes to do a backup? Or something else?

Well, it might be one of those annoying phantom itches that isn't really DUE to anything, but you still scratch it...

It probably comes from all the times that I've had to reinstall a system, and the first step is to sift through all the garbage and find the files that you actually want to keep and save those somewhere....and so I always end up saving tons of stuff into a directory called "rob_C_drv_backup" onto another hard drive somewhere else, and never going through and really pulling out the good stuff, so it just sits there taking up space on some spare hard drive....

I know that doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand....I really haven't had much of a need for a huge drive, as I have no media that I store on a regular basis. Our 2 main PC's are doing fine with 200 GB, and on the few times I've run out of space, I can usually go in and delete some un-used and forgotten application to free up the space. So, I guess what makes me itch is the idea of having so much space that I never do ANY housecleaning....because I know I wouldn't.

I am being lured by the idea of getting some large drives for a WHS system to back up everything else. If the backup drive fails...who cares, so long as the drives it was backing up don't fail at the same time!

I think the larger drive = larger amount of potential loss is a valid point. But since I am using WHS I'm counting on the fact that my data is semi-protected. It works similar to RAID in the sense that if I loose a drive, it should be able to rebuild itself without loss of data.

I use a 1TB drive to make complete backups of all my data for each of my computers. Once I back them up I physically disconnect and put the 1TB backup on the shelf. I also store copies of various programs along with prior versions of the software in case I need to return to an older version.

I've considered hard-drive as permanent storage. They're getting cheap enough, and they're about the only thing with enough storage capacity to do it.

Back