EOL Resisters (not a question of if :)

chrisdias

Hi -

This is NOT a question of should I use them or not, or where to put them!

My question is how do you normally install them? The HAI came with a pack of what I'll call "standard" 1k resisters (bare wires coming out of the resister on either end, would look great in a circut board).

I was thinking of soldering them in and wrapping them using heat shrink, to cover the exposed wire/resister. I've been using the gel-filled plastic crimps to make my regular wire connections, but this would leave me with "exposed" wires off the resisters.

Thanks,
Chris

I had same issue and I did not have access to install them as EOLR so I installed mine as follows at my Omni Pro II panel.

Involved 1 resistor, 1 spade connector and 2 red wire crimp connectors (not gel crimps). If you slide a red crimp connector over each end of the resistor, you will see that they come together and create a shell around the resister. Excess wire from the resistor will stick out the other end of the red crimps but that will be cut off so that you only leave enough wire on the resister to allow the crimp on the resistor wire. After the crimps have been installed on each end of the resister, I wrapped the joint where the crimp connectors come together at the resister with some tape to keep the new "resister assembly" in a tight package because that resistor wire is very light weight and I did not want it to carry any physical load. At this point, you will now have a extra long crimp connector with the resister encased in it and the remaining ends (uncrimped) are now ready to crimp your "resister assembly" into your circuit. You will crimp your incoming wire to one end and the spade connector on the other end. You are now ready to attach your spade connector to your circuit board such that you have your resister neatly encased in its "cocoon" and protected from harm.

I bent my spade connectors a bit to make everything fit nicely on my Omni Pro II connection points. If this does not make sense, I can post a picture tomorrow when I have time. Too late tonight.

The best, although most time consuming, way is to solder and heat shrink them. This makes the most secure connection and since usually the space is tight it takes up the least amount of space.

I soldered my connections but did not use shrink wrap. But I also used a screw in type connection (where my wire leads screwed directly into the sensor) so the only solder was for the EOL resistor - I did not have to connect leads from the sensor to the wire run.

I'd go with solder and clear heat shrink (if it's easily available), so others will know what's there.

I'd go with solder and clear heat shrink (if it's easily available), so others will know what's there.

that's what i'm thinking as well. for the ones i can get to, i'll put them in EOL. For the ones I can't get to, I'm going to have to put them in the panel (I'm reusing a few wires from the old alarm system and have no access to the ends).

Plus, this let's me buy another toy.

Thanks!

:)

If this does not make sense, I can post a picture tomorrow when I have time. Too late tonight.

if you have time and can post a picture, that woudl be helpful. i've got to put in at least a handful at the panel.

thanks!

Back