What do you control using relays?

v1rtu0s1ty

I'm using m1rb to control my lawn sprinklers. What else can I control with this card?

Thanks in advance!

Neil

The card itself isn't special and can't really do anything :(, but its relays can :). Automation panels like the Elk M1 have outputs that fall into 2 general categories, low voltage and relays/contact closure. The M1RB card turns a low voltage, low current signal into a contact closure. When the output is turned on the relay will either "connect" a circuit or "break" a circuit depending on whether you use the NC or NO terminals.

Sprinkler systems have valves with 2 states, open/close, that are controlled by switching low voltage. A relay like the ones on the M1RB can control any 2-state device easily by switching power. Anything you can think of that has 2 electrically controlled states can be automated with a relay. If the device is high voltage, like an appliance, you will need to use the M1RB relays to trigger another relay that is set up to safely handle the voltage and current.

Awesome explanation! :)

Now, I just need to think of a device that is 24volts like my lawn sprinkler valve. :(

Thanks!

I have mine set up to "press" my garage door buttons. I just ran two wires from the N/O and COM terminals to the two screws on the back of the garage door switch.

Probably wanna be careful so you don't crush any kids or anything. Also, if you hear your M1 say "I wouldn't do that if I were you Dave", you should run.

You may want to check, but I believe the relays can actually handle 120v loads up to a few amps. It's NOT a full 15 amps, but they will do it. You should read the specs if you do this.

I also have some Aube thermostats that do thermal mass calculations for concrete slab. So I don't want to replace them with a regular controllable thermostat because it would waste a ton of energy without the thermal mass calcs. But, they have a set of contacts on the back that can be bridged to put them in night mode which lowers the temp. So I've connected the contacts to relays to control day/night modes.

HVAC applications are popular -- overall system control, damper control, sometimes full thermostat applications. Many related threads on CT. I use them to switch the system between heating and cooling.

As for the garage door, I too have wired this up but I do not allow the M1 to close the garage door. The task will run only if the door is closed. This is my preference, as a safety function.

I am using a few of the relays on my M1RB to control a drape motor in my master bedroom.

I'm thinking about using one to control the fresh air exchanger system. Right now, the stupid control resets to off if the power goes out, so it gets all stuffy in the house before I notice it.

The control is just a thing that goes from 0-100% in 10% increments. If you set it to 10%, it runs for 6 mins an hour, and at 50% it would run for 30 mins an hour. The question is, how to I control it without going in an modifying rules? Would there be an easy way to do it through the keypad?

This could become a really interesting topic, but I would suggest changing the title to something like "What do you control using relays?" or something like that. The answers would be very useful to anyone with a home automation or I/O controller.

I can't find how I can change the title.

Anyways, I opened up my garage opener and saw the 2 screws. So that N/O and COM can go to any screws? Also, I have a wire waiting in the garage but it's a CAT5e. It's a solid conductor. Can I use this wire?

Also, I have a infrared sensor attached to the ceiling for my wife. It turns on everytime it sees any movement. Maybe, I can use that as a sensor? I was thinking that if I left the garage open at night say 12am, and the infrared sensor is in OFF position(no movement), I will send a TURN OFF OUTPUT to the garage opener. The infrared sensor is powered by an adapter.

It will be fine, I am doing this as well. I believe in my case, I only measured 6VDC (and I'm sure that current requirements are very low), the relays are rated for much more.

It will be fine, I am doing this as well. I believe in my case, I only measured 6VDC (and I'm sure that current requirements are very low), the relays are rated for much more.

What about the cat5e wire, it should be fine too right?

So is this rule going to work?

If time of day is 12am
and garage door output 114 state is ON
turn off garage door output 114 OFF

If time of day is 12am

No. You would need a sensor on the door to tell if it is open or closed:

Whenever time of day is 12am
and garage door sensor (input 17) is not secure
then turn on garage door output for 1 second

The LED doesn't matter on the sensor, and I'm using Cat6 for mine so your cat5e should be fine. To test it, just take a small piece of wire and touch each end to each terminal. If the garage door activates, the N/O and COM will work just fine.

If you had a motion sensor in there, you could put it on a timer and do a rule where if the timer expires and the time is after 12am, then close the door. This way, if you were out in the garage working at 12am, it wouldn't close the door on you. If you're going to automate closing of the door, you should make sure you have an opener that has a beam and resistance sensor to minimize the chance that you'll crush something or someone.

I only close mine automatically when I arm on Night or Night Instant mode.

If time of day is 12am

No. You would need a sensor on the door to tell if it is open or closed:

Whenever time of day is 12am
and garage door sensor (input 17) is not secure
then turn on garage door output for 1 second

The LED doesn't matter on the sensor, and I'm using Cat6 for mine so your cat5e should be fine. To test it, just take a small piece of wire and touch each end to each terminal. If the garage door activates, the N/O and COM will work just fine.

If you had a motion sensor in there, you could put it on a timer and do a rule where if the timer expires and the time is after 12am, then close the door. This way, if you were out in the garage working at 12am, it wouldn't close the door on you. If you're going to automate closing of the door, you should make sure you have an opener that has a beam and resistance sensor to minimize the chance that you'll crush something or someone.

I only close mine automatically when I arm on Night or Night Instant mode.

Our garage door doesn't force itself to close when an object(like 2x4 wood on the floor) is preventing it from moving down. It goes back quickly. Also, if there is something blocking the sensor at the bottom of the garage door guide, it won't even go down.

I tried a small piece of wire and it worked. That is so cool!!! :) I'm going to dismantle the car infrared sensor in a few that I installed on the ceiling. I actually tested it by walking at different locations in the garage and it gets triggered. I'll post pics of the motion sensor.

I control my HRV (heat recovery ventilator) via relays. I plan to hook up garage door openers soon as well as possibly outright control the HVAC with a standard thermostat as backup.

Back