Wiring pics

signal15

Here are some pics. Multiple posts because of the 100k limit. These are of the server rack. I got it brand new on craigslist for $150, and it's normally over $2k new. I have a 24 port patch panel at the top which will connect to another one in the attic for future expansion after I finish the basement. A 48 port panel which will go out to all of the rooms (only about 8 ports are actually wired so far). 2 crappy 1u servers, one that runs Zoneminder for video surveillance, and the other has 3TB of disk for a backup server and general storage. A Juniper EX-4200 POE switch, and a J-6350 router/firewall. A crappy old Cisco 48 port switch, and a couple of APC 1500's in the bottom that I got for free because the batteries were shot (and I reconditioned them to 100% capacity).

On the top of the cabinet is a Juniper SSG5 as a backup in case my 6350 croaks, and a couple of wireless access points.

Attachments

• IMG00008_20090717_1239.jpg
    IMG00008_20090717_1239.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG00009_20090717_1240.jpg
    IMG00009_20090717_1240.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 144
More pics. Here is the ELK panel(s). Top one has equipment in it, and the bottom is for wiring and power. I have a 300 pair 110 block in the bottom, but only about 100 pair are punched down so far. I expect to use about 200 pair, or just over that. The silver box in the bottom of the top cabinet is a Sipura ATA device. The ELK's phone line plugs into it for phone connectivity, and it has its own extension on my VoIP system running Freeswitch (which is located in a datacenter about 30 miles from here and accessed over a VPN).

I still have a number of sensors to wire and hook up, but all of the main perimeter security sensors are done.

Attachments

• IMG00010_20090717_1240.jpg
    IMG00010_20090717_1240.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG00011_20090717_1241.jpg
    IMG00011_20090717_1241.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 225
two things... 1 you can get around the 100K limit by using the gallery and setup a personal album and use a blog to document it all B)

2 why do you have your freeswitch server in a data center 30 miles away? just because or is there an advantage I cant see?

two things... 1 you can get around the 100K limit by using the gallery and setup a personal album and use a blog to document it all B)

2 why do you have your freeswitch server in a data center 30 miles away? just because or is there an advantage I cant see?

Because I provide hosted VoIP for companies and I'm running my home off the production equipment. It's more than just one server.

Because I provide hosted VoIP for companies and I'm running my home off the production equipment. It's more than just one server.

I saw your first post and read that you have a Juniper 4200 and my first thought was 'WTF??!?' why would a home user need a $5K switch????? Then I saw you host VOIP services and that made more sense lol. Nice setup btw!

Also, what are you terminating in your 110? Sensors or Cat wiring? I'm considering a 110 block for my sensor wiring and another for my Cat in a seperate can and then a short jump to the equipment (more for aesthetics), but haven't made up my mind yet. How are you wiring up your 110's? Can you provide a closeup?

I saw your first post and read that you have a Juniper 4200 and my first thought was 'WTF??!?' why would a home user need a $5K switch????? Then I saw you host VOIP services and that made more sense lol. Nice setup btw!

Also, what are you terminating in your 110? Sensors or Cat wiring? I'm considering a 110 block for my sensor wiring and another for my Cat in a seperate can and then a short jump to the equipment (more for aesthetics), but haven't made up my mind yet. How are you wiring up your 110's? Can you provide a closeup?

Actually, the VoIP hosting is running off some older Cisco switches. I just happen to have some connections through my day job as a network security architect. :)

I am terminating just sensors on the 110 block now, but I'm going to get another and do a 100-pair cross-connect to the garage that will be used for sensors and network.

I know this has been mentioned before, somewhere on this board, but aren't 110 blocks for solid wire only? Stranded may be an issue. I don't remember what the conclusion was.

I have used stranded on 66 blocks without any problem. 110 and 66 blocks are designed for solid wire, but if you have a good punchdown tool, and pay attention to yoru work, it should not be a problem.

I know this has been mentioned before, somewhere on this board, but aren't 110 blocks for solid wire only? Stranded may be an issue. I don't remember what the conclusion was.

I bought all solid core 23AWG wire except for my pre-made patch cables.

Back