DL900 - required hardware help

Meroe

Hello guys/gals,

I would like to program my NX-8 via DL900 and was curious if these two items would get me there... I've done a lot of reading and think I'm set with the items below but I want to make sure there is nothing else I need.

NX-584

Serial Cable

I have a laptop with a serial connection so I'm set there.

Please let me know if the above items will allow me to connect in as I've also read about modems, null modems etc and want to make sure I don't need one of those as well.

Regards,
Meroe

Hello guys/gals,

I would like to program my NX-8 via DL900 and was curious if these two items would get me there... I've done a lot of reading and think I'm set with the items below but I want to make sure there is nothing else I need.

NX-584

Serial Cable

Please let me know if the above items will allow me to connect in as I've also read about modems, null modems etc and want to make sure I don't need one of those as well.

Regards,
Meroe
It won't let me post links yet... boo :rofl:

The NX-584 I mentioned is:
NX-584 - Caddx Home automation/Access control interface w/RS232

The Cable I mentioned is:

GE NetworX Serial Cable For NX-8E
GEP0003
Add to your NetworX Security System and Home Automation. GE Security offers this serial cable to connect to your NX-8E Security Control Panel...

Hello guys/gals,

NX-584

Serial Cable

Regards,
Meroe
It won't let me post links yet... boo :rofl:

The NX-584 I mentioned is:
NX-584 - Caddx Home automation/Access control interface w/RS232

The Cable I mentioned is:

GE NetworX Serial Cable For NX-8E
GEP0003
Add to your NetworX Security System and Home Automation. GE Security offers this serial cable to connect to your NX-8E Security Control Panel...

I'm in the process of doing the same thing, but haven't really started.

From what I've read, the serial cable is only needed with the nx-8e, not for the nx-8.

From what I've read, the serial cable is only needed with the nx-8e, not for the nx-8.

I believe both need the cable, but the nx8e doesn't need the addon module as it already has the serial connector on the board. I could be wrong, but that is what I though i read.

I got impatient and needed to reset my panel so i made my own connector to the telco portion of the board using a 470 ohm resistor. Radio Shack had everything I needed and it worked great. I spent the last 5 hours tweaking the system exactly how I wanted it and I'm good to go. Total cost $0.99 + a little gas. My next project is setting up a server room in the basement and moving the panel down there. I hope do be ready for that this weekend. If anyone has advice on building a cabinet please post links or if you have pictures of your server room/ data cabinet I would love to see those as well.

I believe both need the cable, but the nx8e doesn't need the addon module as it already has the serial connector on the board. I could be wrong, but that is what I though i read.
The NX8e doesn't require the serial add on board as it is built into the board as you mentioned BUT you need this stupid P-0003 interface cable that takes the raw pins sticking up from the board to a 9-Pin D connector. Ironically, this adapter is NOT part of the NX8e fastpack> (Stupid, yes...am I speaking from experience, yes) :p

Anyway, glad you got things worked out and WELCOME to Cocoontech. B)

I got impatient and needed to reset my panel so i made my own connector to the telco portion of the board using a 470 ohm resistor. Radio Shack had everything I needed and it worked great. I spent the last 5 hours tweaking the system exactly how I wanted it and I'm good to go. Total cost $0.99 + a little gas. My next project is setting up a server room in the basement and moving the panel down there. I hope do be ready for that this weekend. If anyone has advice on building a cabinet please post links or if you have pictures of your server room/ data cabinet I would love to see those as well.

Do you mean that the NX-584 board is not required to program the NX8 with a PC? What about the RS232 ASCII commands to control the panel? Could you post the cable schematics?

Regards

Do you mean that the NX-584 board is not required to program the NX8 with a PC? What about the RS232 ASCII commands to control the panel? Could you post the cable schematics?

Regards
If you have a modem comptable with the NX8 and DL900 you can "dial" into your panel. I don't have a land line here at the house so this wasn't a good option for me. The resistor method creates an offhook basically and when you dial with the dl900 (any number) you hit *99 on the panel to open the line. DL900 then connects to control without issue. I'll post the cable schematics.

Source: http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?...=14350.0%3Bwap2

The modem to panel direct connection is very simple. One wire of the wire pair is directly connected from the modem to the R terminal (inner pair Telco). The other wire of the modem is connected to POS or AUX+. Then from any COM terminal you connect a 460 ohms ¼ Watt resistor and from the other end of the resistor you connect it to T terminal (inner pair TELCO). This way you have a very basic telephone line simulation, functioning only for the off hook situation. That is no ringing and no on hook scenarios. The needed voltage is taken from the panel's power supply and clamped on the line through the resistor. This is something I have done many times back in the days where an NX-586 direct link was not handy. That's all in hardware.

CADDX MODEM (via RJ11 port)

R <------------------------> Wire 1 of 2

T <-------------------------\
RESISTOR /
470 Ohms \
1/4 Watts /
5% Tolerance \
COM (any) <-------------------------/

AUX PWR + <------------------------> Wire 2 of 2

Back