Advent ADV3500PC 7" WVGA Portable GPS/PC (VIA 1GHz/30GB HD/256MB RAM,Touch Screen): $269

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Several regulars (including myself) in the CocoonTech chat room have ordered this unit, which is basically a 7" tablet PC. You are getting a lot of bang for the buck here, and so far, feedback has been positive. The deal is still online, and more info can be found here.

for those who have to pay sales tax, the ebay route may be better with 8% bing.com cashback

Will try SageTV on it, would make a nice wireless multimedia system, but probably will end up using it as a CarPC.

As of right now there are 120 left. Was going to RMA (and they were great about it) but learned in chat that the FM transmitter being turned on kills internal speaker, but headphone still works. It's a real nice unit for the price. They started with 450 and are down to 120, so if you are interested...

Ok, this is a FUN little toy. It works with Sage Placeshifter (albeit a little slow, but enough for camera surveillance etc), CQC is really fast. Here is a pic of it in action:

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...=si&img=223

I haven't adjusted the aspect ratio of the skin yet, and the lighting/angle do make the screens look a little weird, but it's crystal clear.

I actually want to buy another one, as it would make a great house remote.

Is there any fan noise? Besides not having a docking station, if there is fan noise, the WAF will be very low.

Thanks!

I can't hear the fan in a regular Living room environment, but you might be able to hear it if you put next to your head on a night stand. The unit seems to support booting from SD, so I am thinking about testing this, and maybe remove the hard drive and see if this is enough to dump the fan.

Now that I paid more attention to it, I can hear the fan, but I think it will only be a problem when used next to the bed.

I definitely hear the fan. Now that I have my CQC interface on it I am going to put it on the nightstand tonight and see how bad it is and make sure I'm not just hearing other stuff in the office. There is a fan setting in BIOS though so you could raise the temp at which the fan comes on but that's probably not optimal for the electronics.

Back