M1XEP and FIOS

blmxm

First let me say hello, and thanks to all who contribute here. I've been lurking for awhile now and this board was a major factor in my purchase of the M1. I hope I will be able to add to it as my own experiences grow.
Now to my problem. I am maybe 60% complete on my install with the control mounted, powered, and communicating with RP via an M1EP. Everything went without a hitch until I tried to set up and send email notifications. To drill it down to where I am now, it appears that anytime an attempt is made, the XEP goes through a reboot. All lights cycle off, then proceed to come back in a sequence that looks like the unit was just plugged in, or forced to reboot from RP. This occurs whether the test email button is used, or I write a rule to send email every couple of minutes.
I flashed or re-flashed all the devices, confirmed router firmware is up to date, put the XEP in the routers DMZ to be sure my lack of network knowledge on port forwarding wasn’t the issue, etc. Elk support suggested I needed to get an ip address for Verizons dns server, rather than allowing the router to resolve as it does for the rest of the LAN. This was done, without producing any change. I then put in the actual IP address of my mail server, so that as I understand it, no DNS server is needed. Also let me note here that while the time server test says it passes, I show no network traffic. And when I test the dynamic DNS, it fails the same as if sending email. After much hair pulling and staying up way too late the last couple of nights I have run across this post here.

It seems to describe the exact problems I am observing. It ends with stating that actiontec corrected the issues, however Verizon is now using a westell 9100EM router with their installations here. Is it possible this is round two with FIOS – XEP issues? Has anyone managed to get email working with this router on FIOS, or come up with a work around? I still have my old actiontec acting as a MOCA bridge for a desktop, so I could connect it to a coax that existed. Perhaps a more savvy network god could tell me if I connected the XEP to the actiontec if that would just be passing through and having the same issues, or might result in success. It’s awfully hot here in FL for another attic crawl, plus I would like to rule out other possibilities prior to releasing the lease on the new gear to use the actiontec as my gateway. (I like them replacing the equipment on a failure.)
My experience so far has me very impressed with ELK, but as I have no home phone and would prefer not to go cellular on this, I would be disappointed if there is no way for me to access the internet for reporting, or the ELK remotely, as that was the plan from day one. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi blmxm, welcome to CT! I hope you don't mind, I activated that link to make it easier for people to follow.

Before crawling into the hot attic, I would definitely wait for feedback here, I'm sure others must have this modem as well (it's a popular make).

Hi blmxm, welcome to CT! I hope you don't mind, I activated that link to make it easier for people to follow.

Before crawling into the hot attic, I would definitely wait for feedback here, I'm sure others must have this modem as well (it's a popular make).

Hello Dan,
Thank you for the linky and the welcome. I'm out the door and will indeed be checking in later before the next seemingly regulary scheduled attic crawl... ;)
Regards,
Mark Henderson
(seems I need to flap more for a profile and sigline as well.)

I have FIOS, and an M1XEP.
I simply created another email account on verizon, and dedicated it to the M1XEP.
It always emails me with no problem.
It also will send text messages through a rule using email as the transport.
I hope this helped.

I have FIOS, and an M1XEP.
I simply created another email account on verizon, and dedicated it to the M1XEP.
It always emails me with no problem.
It also will send text messages through a rule using email as the transport.
I hope this helped.
Well I don't seem to be getting past the router. Are you doing this on a westell 9100, and if so could you provide the settings on the tcp/ip page of the xep setup? If your running an actiontec the thread I linked to indicated that a firmware change resolved the issue. So if you have the actiontec, I don't think the comparison would be valis as I am pretty sure the problem is at the router, but when I quit being wrong, I either quit doing anything, or died...lol
Thank for your input!

Mark Henderson

Now to my problem. I am maybe 60% complete on my install with the control mounted, powered, and communicating with RP via an M1EP. Everything went without a hitch until I tried to set up and send email notifications. To drill it down to where I am now, it appears that anytime an attempt is made, the XEP goes through a reboot. All lights cycle off, then proceed to come back in a sequence that looks like the unit was just plugged in, or forced to reboot from RP.
I have heard of email sending problems, but never heard of anything that appeared to reboot the XEP. I assume the M1 is not rebooting, just the XEP? Are you sure the XEP is getting good clean power?

I suggest you call Amy or Brad at Elk technical services and explain your issues with the Westell 9100EM router.

Hopefully it is not another can of worms!

[I have heard of email sending problems, but never heard of anything that appeared to reboot the XEP. I assume the M1 is not rebooting, just the XEP? Are you sure the XEP is getting good clean power?
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply Wayne. The M1 and XEP are on the same surge strip. Additionally the behavior has only been observed when using the test email, test dynamic dns, or a rule to trigger an email. Rp is otherwise stable within the LAN. Only the rare "couldn't connect" and that is typically after an attempt at email.

Hopefully it is not another can of worms!
I hope not as well.
Brad was who I spoke with that suggested I confirm the dns server settings with Verizon. It was set for my router as all the devices in the LAN are. The router is set to obtain DNS servers automatically. I tried a couple IPs provided by Verizon as well, with no change. And as previously mentioned I put in the mail servers IP, which in my understanding should eliminate the DNS server from the equation. Of course with the actiontec set up as a dumb switch, routing the XEP through it did nothing either, but my hair loss got to a point where it was worth a shot. Besides the warranty issues of reverting back to the actiontec, it also has known NAT problems as well. I copied my post here to the tech support email addy listed on the dealer page, but it bounced back with a delivery error, so I forwarded again to "info" @ elk. I will try to get back with Brad or Amy as you suggested in the next couple of days, If there is no reply. I am hoping that Elk still has contact info for the right tree to shake at Verizon. While they tried to be helpful on my call to them, someone who has seen and understands the issue could perhaps help expedite a solution. Fios is big here, and seems to be growing everywhere.
Thank you for the response. Your presence and support here was a major consideration in my purchase of the M1!
Regards,
Mark

Is the M1XEP getting an IP address via DHCP or do you have a static address entered? If via DHCP, double check your DHCP client table on your router -- if it has that option -- to make sure it is in there and within same subnet. If it isn't, you may have a physical connection problem, i.e. network wiring. Do you have a cable tester to check your patch cables and cable run? Lights on the router and device isn't enough to know it's wired correctly.

Are you using Verizon's router only or are you using a personal router (wired or wireless) along with Verizon's router?

Sounds like you are not communicating with the network gateway since time, DDNS, and email is not working, even with static IP addresses are entered in DNS and mail.

Also make sure the "from" address entered into the M1XEP config is a valid email address on your Verizon account -- not gmail, yahoo, or the like. Most ISPs will not allow relaying of email which is sending an email from an email account that is not a part of their network. This won't fix your problem but will save you some grief later.

It would be useful if the M1XEP had a service screen to do pings, traceroutes, and network diagnostics from the device itself for testing. *hint*hint*Spanky* B)

Is the M1XEP getting an IP address via DHCP or do you have a static address entered? If via DHCP, double check your DHCP client table on your router -- if it has that option -- to make sure it is in there and within same subnet. If it isn't, you may have a physical connection problem, i.e. network wiring. Do you have a cable tester to check your patch cables and cable run? Lights on the router and device isn't enough to know it's wired correctly.
The XEP has a 50ft purchased run from it's wiring closet to the verizon westell router which is next to my office pc in the master bedroom where RP is installed. That said, since RP connects fine, and I am directly attached to the gateway, I think that rules out cable. I have also configured both a static IP and DHCP with the same behavior for both.

Are you using Verizon's router only or are you using a personal router (wired or wireless) along with Verizon's router?
The Westell is the gateway, with my old actiontec downstream as a moca bridge.

Sounds like you are not communicating with the network gateway since time, DDNS, and email is not working, even with static IP addresses are entered in DNS and mail.
Interestingly, time reports as updating ok. I don't believe it. Email and DNS result in a message that the control is disconnecting, and or not responding.

Also make sure the "from" address entered into the M1XEP config is a valid email address on your Verizon account -- not gmail, yahoo, or the like. Most ISPs will not allow relaying of email which is sending an email from an email account that is not a part of their network. This won't fix your problem but will save you some grief later.
Thank you for the pointers. I have that right I believe.

If the device is rebooting whenever you try to send e-mail, then I am suspecting that the mail server is returning a large and/or incorrectly formatted error message, which might create some sort of buffer overflow, triggering the M1XEP to reboot. If you have the knowledge, I would seriously consider running something like WireShark and see what exactly is being sent.

If the device is rebooting whenever you try to send e-mail, then I am suspecting that the mail server is returning a large and/or incorrectly formatted error message, which might create some sort of buffer overflow, triggering the M1XEP to reboot. If you have the knowledge, I would seriously consider running something like WireShark and see what exactly is being sent.

Hey Dan,
Well I installed and was able to capture with wireshark. But the data is beyond me. I am more of a PLC kinda guy. I get a line that has RST on it which I would asssume is resetting the connection, but assumptions tend ta bite one right on the proverbial rear end. I don't know if it is an accepted practice to post an entire capture here or not, so if you could advise me on that, and whether that may be helpful, I would appreciate it. Beyond that I guess I need to find someone willing to take a peek at the capture and point me in the right direction. The best I can tell using my limited knowlege of networking, is that when the XEP (192.168.1.6) trys to send an email:
24 16.088849 192.168.1.6 192.168.1.4 TCP discp-client > pcia-rxp-b [ACK] Seq=1 Ack=186 Win=8192 Len=0
The pc or could this be the router? ( 192.168.1.4) is resetting the connection:
25 16.419592 192.168.1.4 192.168.1.6 TCP pcia-rxp-b > discp-client [RST, ACK] Seq=186 Ack=1 Win=0 Len=0
Considering the length of 0, this to me seems to fit Spanky's description of the previous troubles with the actiontec.
So whether or not I'm guessing correctly I don't know, but frankly I'd be happy for someone to point out my ignorance and fill me in on the easy fix I am overlooking.. B)
Thanks to all for your input.

You can just attach the capture file to your post. If you are worried about privacy, you can e-mail it to me.

You can just attach the capture file to your post. If you are worried about privacy, you can e-mail it to me.

Thanks Dan.
"Connect & Test" Is a capture of connecting to the control in RP, then pressing the email test button. 'Test" is a capture of the email test button until I get a control disconnecting. These were both initiated from the capture interfaces in wireshark.
regards,
Mark

Back