Coming off Quiet mode without the Chime

tmbrown97

Hey Spanky... I'm creating a separate post to hopefully get your attention... this is related to some topics discussed in this thread: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13462

Several of us use a Quiet Mode feature to disable chimes. In my case, I have a Quiet Mode button that I press before leaving the house if my wife is asleep. We also use it if we have to go to the garage if the baby is asleep... The idea is that it'll turn off after an hour so we don't forget to turn it off. The problem is that when Chimes come back on, it plays the chime - which is the same as the chime when someone opens a door/window. That tends to scare the hell out of us - and if my wife isn't awake yet, it wakes her up. I can add some features so it only goes off when she enters the main living area, but I'd like to kill the chime when "Quiet Mode" turns off.

Any ideas how to do this? We use a function button that when pressed, disables non-alarm voices and disables chimes. It lights a function button (the same one it's triggered by) and turns off 1hr later. What can we do to do enable the voices and chimes without the alerting chime?

Thx!
-Todd

I think there is a way to turn on and off the speaker amp using a rule. You could temporarily turn off the amp allow the chime to occur and then turn the amp back on, maybe?

Hrm... either there aren't many people doing this, or nobody's come up with a solid solution yet...

It hasn't been an issue for me as I turn the chimes off at 11pm and back on at 8 am. I do get the chime when it comes on, but that's my alarm clock. It would seem you could just use an output from the elk to disconnect the audio output from the speakers when you don't want to hear the "turn on" chime. ...no?

Your alarm clock doesn't go off until 8am?

Damn slacker. You must not have kids, or they must be older. Mine wake me by 7:30am latest every day b/c they're hungry (and only 7 & 5, so no old or strong enough to hold a gallon of milk without spilling it all).

Routing the speakers through a relay that's turned on/off could work, but i was hoping for a simpler solution.

IVB,

I have 3 kids - youngest is 38 - so they pretty much get themselves up these days.

I have 5 dogs - oldest is 14, youngest 9 months - they're as lazy as me :)

After the chime turns on at 8am, I have the M1G tell me the temperature in the house, shop and garage - then I know how to dress - such luxury.

I dunno, my wife still makes me or the kids go in every 10 mins to wake her up on the weekends. Her mom sleeps until 11am (she has insomnia), so i have decades of this to look forward to. Hell, my mother gets up at 6am every day without an alarm. Not that she actually does anything, i swear it takes her an hour just to drink a cup of tea. I guess she's not in any rush, though.

I do agree, weather TTS is an awesome thing to have. I have CQC tell me the weather outside (elk external temp probe) plus the weather.com forecast so we can tell the kids whether their chosen outfits are acceptable. It's funny, the kids won't listen to me, but if i re-trigger the weather announcement and point to the ceiling, they'll listen to 'the house'.

Maybe because 'the House' doesn't yell at them when they screw up. Currently...

:)

I wasn't aware that disabling the chime was an issue with the M1. It's one of the reasons I'm replacing my security system.

it's not an issue per se, it just announces "chime is active" when you enable it manually. When you use a rule to enable it, it chirps.

For those of us with wee little ones (or wee big ones who hate get woken up and are generally mean people especially when their husbands try and wake them up to go to brunch), that's an issue. Minor issue, but annoying nonetheless.

I also would like to find a solution to this problem. I stoped using the chime because of this.

I'm dedicating a couple of relays for M1G sound management. One will toggle the siren mode (yelp vs wail) by connecting output 2 to one or the other of the SS-15 inputs -- I intend to put an EOLN resistor from the common line return to each mode wire. The other will divert voice output to a resistor. Does chime do something more?

for us, the time when chimes turn off is variable... depends on when I'm leaving and if the wife is sleeping... or if the baby is sleeping and we want to go out to the garage. That can be during nap-time or when I leave for work... I had it set so quiet mode would last an hour (maybe 2, it's been a while) - then turn back off... but by then, the wife finally woke up - now she's in the shower, knows she's home alone, and hears the chirp indicating a door just opens... scares the hell out of you. I just want to turn the chimes back on without the notification.

Seems to be a decent amount of interest - hopefully Spanky will come up with something for us.

Back