Insteon and dimmable CFL

alternety

I am trying to take advantage of the Smarthome sale so I need some info. She who must be obeyed said no on Satruday but yes an hour so ago. Now I have to figure quick.

Is there any problem with current Insteon wall dimmers when connected to dimmable CFLs?

I want to use dimmable CFLs outside and have a two level nightime lighting. Regular and ther result of a switch press or a motion sensor. I also have one place where dimmable would be good. Otherwise it is all switches (relays).

I am trying to take advantage of the Smarthome sale so I need some info. She who must be obeyed said no on Satruday but yes an hour so ago. Now I have to figure quick.

Is there any problem with current Insteon wall dimmers when connected to CFLs?

I want to use dimmable CFLs outside and have a two level nightime lighting. Regular and ther result of a switch press or a motion sensor. I also have one place where dimmable would be good. Otherwise it is all switches (relays).

No there isnt but you will need to make sure you set the ramp rate to .01 seconds or you'll slowly kill your CFL's. Many of the small spiral dimmable CFL's that ive tested only dim down to around 30% after that they go out. I did find one that dim excellently which I use for my outdoor garage (Like you, They start to brighten as the gets dark) and I found them at home Depot, the brand is "EcoSmart" and they are bright white 100W equivalent bulb and only pull 26 W. Lowes has some Sylvania but dont dim down like these. All my inside switches are dimmers where the CFL's are daylight's so when ever someone comes otu with dimmable daylight bulbs I'm sure to take advantage of them. ;)

Here is a link to them
http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/wp-content...11/img_6720.jpg

I found some Feit Electric Ecobulb dimmables at Home Depot that work pretty well, I am using the 23 watt bulbs and I have dimmed them much lower than any other CFLs I have tried.

I use Insteon, and have had great luck with Phillips Marathon CFLs, which can be found at Home Depot. They dim down to about 20%, and I find no problem with them to that point. Color temp is very close to daylight (bright, somewhat close to white). As someone noted, make sure the ramp rate is as close to instant as possible. CFLs offer no help in ramp-up scenes, which I personally believe are over-rated.

Back