HAI / NuVo GC integration issues

js19707

Hi-
I just had my NuVo GC installed and tied into my HAI Omnipro II. I'm running the 3.0 firmware w/ the latest Omnitouch 5.7 firmware (9), and the latest NuVo GC firmware (2.54). I've got a NuVo AM/FM tuner and the Remote Ipod dock attached.

NB: I don't have a RS-232 line booster or optical isolator connected between the HAI panel and the GC (yet). The line length is ~6 ft. I've ordered a B&B 9POP4 which should arrive in the next day or two.

I have had the system up and running for only a couple of days but I have a couple of questions/issues and I'm looking for some guidance:

1) The 3.0 firmware release notes indicate that I should have the same functionality as I have on my NuVo control pads (including "Browsing of music by artist, album, track, genre, playlists, and favorites"). While I can see metadata for currently playing music on my Omnitouch screens (and play/pause, power, volume controls work), I don't have "menu operation" (hitting the "MENU" key doesn't appear to do anything). What could be wrong here?

2) The Omnitouch controls for my audio zones are pretty "sluggish". There can be a long delay (~1s) between initiating some action on the touchscreen (e.g. volume change, fwd/rewind) and the execution of that action. If I get impatient (or if I'm not certain if my touch has been detected.. the Omnitouch isn't all that sensitive) and hit the screen repeatedly, the commands appear to queue up and the delay can go up to 10-30s. I see the NuVo configurator sw has some options for serial delay or slow serial connections.. what should I be setting those to for the HAI OPII? Is there anything else I can do to make the system more responsive to commands issued from the Omnitouch?

1) The 3.0 firmware release notes indicate that I should have the same functionality as I have on my NuVo control pads (including "Browsing of music by artist, album, track, genre, playlists, and favorites"). While I can see metadata for currently playing music on my Omnitouch screens (and play/pause, power, volume controls work), I don't have "menu operation" (hitting the "MENU" key doesn't appear to do anything). What could be wrong here?

So it looks like whenever i hit the MENU option on the omnitouch, my NuVo control pads all light up and bring up the menu.. but the omnitouch still doesn't do anything. unfortunately, even though the NuVo control pads respond to this command, further omnitouch actions don't do anything to those control pads. I'm assuming this isn't the way it's supposed to work, but the HAI documentation is really sparse in this area.

I see the NuVo configurator sw has some options for serial delay or slow serial connections.. what should I be setting those to for the HAI OPII? Is there anything else I can do to make the system more responsive to commands issued from the Omnitouch?

Also, I've set the serial delay on the NuVo to 100ms (highest option) but i haven't seen much improvement in the interactivity on the audio screen from the omnitouch touchscreens.

I'm still waiting on the B&B optical isolator to arrive, but I'm doubting whether it will really make a difference with these issues given the relatively short line length.

Anyone here have any success with browsing of nuvonet sources on the omnitouch touchscreens?

FWIW, I got the 9POP4 isolator today, and put it in place. I'll have to play with the omnitouch more to see if the responsiveness is improved at all with the serial delay of 100ms and the isolator in place, but I am still having the MENU issue (can't browse from the touchscreen).

At this point I'm out of ideas.

OK, for posterity's sake, I'll document this here:

It turns out upgrading from HAI firmware 3.0 to 3.0A has fixed my omnitouch MENU/browsing issue. This doesn't appear in any release notes i could find. the only documentation i could find about the issues fixed by this release spoke to fixes for the Russound E-Series :-/

OK, for posterity's sake, I'll document this here:

It turns out upgrading from HAI firmware 3.0 to 3.0A has fixed my omnitouch MENU/browsing issue. This doesn't appear in any release notes i could find. the only documentation i could find about the issues fixed by this release spoke to fixes for the Russound E-Series :-/

At least you found a fix. :)

Did it fix the poor response issue too?

The HAI firmware sets the serial delay to an appropriate value. Make sure you have the Grand Concerto hooked up to serial port 2. This port has higher priority and better buffering than port 1 or ports 3-5. This is important because of the high data rates when using the NuVo menu protocol. Also, make sure you're using the recommended booster or opto isolator if your serial cable is longer than 7'.

This HAI Knowledge Base article shows the proper connection, but unfortunately it does not emphasize the connection to serial 2.

http://kb.homeauto.com/default.asp?id=849&...SID=&Lang=1

Thanks Brian. I caught the mention of port 2 in some other HAI documentation, so it's been set up that way from the start (although I can't find that particular doc now).

Actually it was the 3.0 firmware installation manual update:

"The NuVo Grand Concerto, NuVo Essentia G, Speakercraft, or Proficient audio systems can not be connected to the first built-in serial port (J1 Serial) on the OmniPro II controller. It must be connected to the second or third built-in serial port (J2-J3 Serial)."

It looks like the MPS4 server from NuVo also provides a serial to IP feature on port 5006. I can enter this port and the MPS4's IP into the Automation Studio config for the OmniTouch 5.7e and it almost works 100% for browsing and controlling the entire nuvo system including artist listings etc (full menu navigation). The only problem I am seeing is that the menu button seems to need a double tap to do anything? also the OK button needs a double tap to make selections. The funny thing is that by telnetting to port 5006 on the NuVo I can see that the menu information is being sent even on the first tap, but for some reason the OmniTouch doesn't pick it up? Any ideas?

Back