Need clarification re: UPB Gen I and Gen II

I have two Gen I UPB PIMs, one from PCS and the other from SAI.

The folks at PCS indicated that, for a small fee, I can have the Gen I PIM upgraded to Gen II. I also learned that a Gen II PIM can control both Gen II and Gen I devices. However, a Gen I PIM cannot control a Gen II device ... not even simple ON/OFF.

That's disappointing because that means my Gen I SAI PIM won't be able to control any Gen II switches (from PCS or Web Mountain).

Is this all true? Are there other incompatibilities?

That's not true. A Gen I PIM can control a Gen II switch. You obviously are not going to get the Gen II sensitivity/noise 'features' unless you are all Gen II. And this is not a guess, I currently have a Gen I SAI PIM controlling both a PCS and HAI Gen II switch.

....A Gen I PIM can control a Gen II switch. ...
That's welcome news. In my e-mail correspondence with PCS it was stated that Gen I was unable to control Gen II and that seemed, quite frankly, incredible. Thanks for clearing that up.

I also have a mixture of Gen1 and Gen2 devices all being controlled by a HAI Gen1 PIM, no problems with devices from PCS, HAI, SAI or Web Mountain.

....A Gen I PIM can control a Gen II switch. ...
That's welcome news. In my e-mail correspondence with PCS it was stated that Gen I was unable to control Gen II and that seemed, quite frankly, incredible. Thanks for clearing that up.

Any quotes from your email with them that you could post?... it would be interesting to see how they stated that...

The answer to the following question was a simple "No":

Can a Gen I PIM control the basic features of a Gen II switch (on/off/dim/links) or is a Gen II PIM absolutely required?

I now realize that my question had two parts and "No" was the answer to the second part. A clearer response might have been:
Yes, a Gen I PIM can control the basic features of a Gen II switch.
or
No, a Gen II PIM is not absolutely required to control a Gen II Switch.

Back