What RG6QS compression fittings do you se?

felixrosbergen

Hi All,

I have the Paladin Seal Pro T1555 compression tool and it came with some fittings. The fittings seemed to work fine on the RG6QS cable.

No i ran out of those and bough some 'Ideal' RG6 / RG6QS compression fittings at home depot and I'm having a terrible time getting them to fit on the RG6QS cable (copper clad steel core i believe, swept to 3ghz) from Monoprice.

Any idea why a different brand fitting but same standard (RG6QS) woudl make such a difference?

Anybody using Monoprice RG6QS and a certain brand/type of compression fittings that is easy to fit on?

My hands are still hurting from trying to get 2 of these on last night..took 45 minutes of wiggling and pushing...with the paladin ones it was a 30 second job.

I bought a bag of 50 Thomas and Betts fittings off ebay, and have been very pleased with them.

Do you have that "pusher" tool on the other end of a coax wrench to help you wriggle the fitting on? Also, are you stripping away the foil? I heard you were supposed to do that, just to ease insertion of the fitting. (not ALL layers of metal, but just the quad layers of foil)

Yea, I noticed those Ideal ones are a little tight. I'm not all that sure they are for a true quad shield though (the packaging was a little confusing).

I just use channel locks on the crimp end and push it over the coax. Don't twist to much though as the braid will get messed up, just wiggle a little.

I bought a bag of 50 Thomas and Betts fittings off ebay, and have been very pleased with them.

Do you have that "pusher" tool on the other end of a coax wrench to help you wriggle the fitting on? Also, are you stripping away the foil? I heard you were supposed to do that, just to ease insertion of the fitting. (not ALL layers of metal, but just the quad layers of foil)

My Paladin kit came with a 3 way tool that appears to be for flaring the braid and it has a thread as well to get the connector attached it to to 'wiggle'. I always turned a lot but i can see how the braid can get messed up that way.

I had bought 2 10 packa of the Ideals from Home Depot. The unopened pack is going back for sure.

I'll try the Thomas and Betts...

I guess when they way they're suitable for RG6 and RG6QS one shoudl be suspicious since it woudl be difficult to acoomodate both without being too big for one or too little for the other?

Well, I can confirm mine were purple, but that's about all I can tell ya as far as their suitability. :) I have the original package at home, and offhand the part number seems like what I remember seeing.

The fittings were definitely for quad shield...not RG6/RG6QS.

I'd say you'll be fine with those.

Incidentally....I'm not sure the "swept to 3 GHz" applies to compression fittings. I don't recall being able to find any compression male fittings that were, and then I realized that the fitting itself wasn't transmitting any signal....the bare wire was. So for barrel connectors it made sense to find some swept to a rating, because the signal actually travelled through it. But for male fittings, I don't think the rating applies...correct?

braid - foil - braid - foil - foam dielectric - center conductor

Which layers of the quad shield do you bend back over the jacket?

I thought it was all layers. Or, at least I haven't had a problem doing it that way.

I've been using the Ideal compression connectors (from Home Despot).

Ya, I had originally been trying to peel off a layer of the foil, since that's what the instructions said. But then I tried to put the fitting on without doing that, and had little trouble...so since then I've just folded back all the stuff and doing it that way.

The Ideal compression fitting directions are pretty sucky.

I tried it several ways, and all layers folded back seemed the easiest. And then it worked, so that's how I do it.

Uh, I just realized I'm using crimp connectors, and not compression fittings. Maybe I'll invest in a compression tool when I re-locate the 'closet'.

Sorry for the confusion - I'm still kind of a noob.

I know home depot sells two RG6 compression connections, both from ideal, one with the blue ring and one with the black ring. I use a flaring tool (I don't know how anyone does more than 5 of these connections without one) and still had a terrible time with the blue ringed ones. I have had good luck with the black ring connectors on RG6QS cable. I do not fold back the layer of foil closest to the dielectric.

--Jamie

Foldering back the most inner layer of foil tends to be a pain and i also generally don't do it.

So we all do agree that the shaft of the compression fitting goes between the inner braid and the foil on the white foamy thing or i guess between the inner foil and the foamy thing...shouldn't make much difference right?

I only saw one type ad HD and it had no colored ring at all...just plain silver colered connector.

Compression is definetely the way to go i think...the crimps on versions really suck.

I'll give the Ideals a last try tonight...otherwsie they go in the bin..

The Ideal connectors from Home Depot with the blue connectors are for the non Quad shielded cable. The black ones are for the Quad Shielded cable.

I know home depot sells two RG6 compression connections, both from ideal, one with the blue ring and one with the black ring. I use a flaring tool (I don't know how anyone does more than 5 of these connections without one) and still had a terrible time with the blue ringed ones. I have had good luck with the black ring connectors on RG6QS cable. I do not fold back the layer of foil closest to the dielectric.

--Jamie

What do you actually do with the flaring tool?

Back