OT - Dimmable CFs for recessed lights

personalt

I finally got my zwave switches working the way I like. I am looking for some dimmable CFs. I have been reading all over the place on these any cant find a decent review or source.

I realize this is a little off topic, but I know off of us with closest full of video equipment need to conserve power somewhere.

Any recommendations?

I'm not aware of ANY truly dimmable (meaning 10%-100%) edison-base (retro-fit) CLs. All the dimmable commercial ones that I know are the multi-pin with expensive dimmable ballasts.

Even the CFs marked as "dimmable" don't dim all that safely, IMO, and only dim in the 75%-100% range, something I found out after installing almost $150 worth of them in my kitchen. (I've gone back to a on-off switch, as I didn't like what I read about dimming them.)

You're already miles ahead with CFs over incandescents in power usage, so if you don't need them for ambience, just leave them full-on (and don't use triac-based switches; I've got relay switches from onQ planned for the spots I've got CFLs).

If you want low power and dimmable, Cree's new LEDs seem the way to go. (Got a Halo one in, and a Cree on the way for testing. Around $90 ea, but reported to be awesome looking and good light per watt.)

What are triac based switches and how are they bad for CFs? I have a couple of Intermatic HA06s but they are for outside flood lights so not for the CFs. I did some google searches and they seem to triac based. I have a feee but I dont have a enough to be married to them.

can you give a little more info on why the triacs based are not good for CFs that would be great.

Also, any idea if i can mix and match zwave switches of differnt brands?

thanks..

I'm not aware of ANY truly dimmable (meaning 10%-100%) edison-base (retro-fit) CLs. All the dimmable commercial ones that I know are the multi-pin with expensive dimmable ballasts.

Even the CFs marked as "dimmable" don't dim all that safely, IMO, and only dim in the 75%-100% range, something I found out after installing almost $150 worth of them in my kitchen. (I've gone back to a on-off switch, as I didn't like what I read about dimming them.)

You're already miles ahead with CFs over incandescents in power usage, so if you don't need them for ambience, just leave them full-on (and don't use triac-based switches; I've got relay switches from onQ planned for the spots I've got CFLs).

If you want low power and dimmable, Cree's new LEDs seem the way to go. (Got a Halo one in, and a Cree on the way for testing. Around $90 ea, but reported to be awesome looking and good light per watt.)

Yea, I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment about not using triac based switches with CFL's. An example of a triac based switch is a UPB switch that can be configured as a dim or non-dim. I personally have never had any problem with the switches and on-dim mode on either regular florescents or cfl's. I do agree that cfl's don't really dim all that well.

And fwiw I really like the idea of the triac based switch over dedicated dimmers and relays. While it may not be that frequent, I hate the idea of replacing the switch when you replace the bulb. Take the example you just made. You put in relays where you have cfls. Now you get a Cree LED and love it and decide to replace your cfls with them. Now you want them to dim. You going to toss out all your relays and replace them with dimmers? Besides the expense, its work to replace a bunch of switches. With UPB or triac switches you change one setting and presto, you have dimming.

Granted, there may be some loads that don't work well with a triac switch, but for the most part I really like them.

Also, any idea if i can mix and match zwave switches of differnt brands?
In theory all ZWave switches should be compatible, but in reality as evidenced by recent posts on different forums, there are several revisions of ZWave that are not 100% compatible with one another. All the core stuff should be good, but certain functions you may only find in certain newer revisions. An example is the ZWave door locks that are now available. But I would think the core lighting stuff should be pretty much 100% compatible between brands.

I too like the idea of using all one type of switch (I'm on ALC), but unfortunately I don't believe it's a safe course of action:
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm#dim

That guy could be a total crackpot, and my degree is in mechanical, not electrical engineering, but his page seemed well thought out, and unless he turns out to have cornered the market on tungsten or something, I'm going to go to the trouble of putting in relay switches for CFL loads, even though mine were bought "dimmable".

That cree LED should be awesome. I have some flashlights with the q5 (zebra, Fenix), I can't beleve how bright they are off of battries. 215 lumins of of 2 small batts and one small bulb. The thing lights up my back yard, I can't imangine what they can do off of wall power. And if they blink them they will not burn out when being dim or overheat. Please add a link where you found them.

Back