Media streaming advice

royalj7

Morning Folks,

I am trying to get my head around a holistic approach to distributing my DVDs and MP3s throughout the house. My audio currently resides on a spare XP Pro machine. I have not ripped my DVDs to any format, but I would also like them to sit on the same machine. I currently have some parts on order which I will use to build a WHS box which I would like to put all my media on. I also have a Xbox 360 that I'd like to use as a media extender. Couple questions:

1. Ripping the DVDs. I'd like to have a bit for bit copy of the DVD for backup purposes and then I can convert it to something else if needed for streaming purposes. MaxPC had a article on this using DVD43 and Handbrake, the only problem is whatever format I end up with I'd like to have the Dolby 5.1 sound. The approach the magazine took was encoding it to H.264 with a MP4 wrapper, which worked good for me but only had stereo audio.
a. Whatever approach I go I'd like to have the cover art displayed. Is there any solution out there where I can use the xbox, have cover art, and dolby 5.1 audio? I feel like I'm asking for alot ;)
b. If the xbox can't be used, what is the next best approach to getting the last two items?

2. I know Sage is used alot here. However, I have no idea what it does. I'd obviously like to minimize any hardware purchases and the number of User Interfaces I have to use. On the same lines, I'm pretty sure Mainlobby and CQC could do this, however, I'd like to avoid a full blown automation system for a while.

3. Whole house audio. For a while I was pretty set on Russound's or HTD's entry level systems (CAA66 or MCA-66). Unlike alot of folks, I actually like and will use the keypads on the wall (as opposed to a remote or computer for control). However, stupid me, all the music I listen to is either my MP3s or internet streaming from Pandora. Sooo, I guess I don't know of a good way to get and control those sources with the two above systems. My wiring is setup is two CAT5s to each keypad location and the speaker wire homerun back to the headend.

I can't believe after 3 plus years of reading at this site I don't have this down :) Any advice is appreciated.

Morning Folks,

I am trying to get my head around a holistic approach to distributing my DVDs and MP3s throughout the house. My audio currently resides on a spare XP Pro machine. I have not ripped my DVDs to any format, but I would also like them to sit on the same machine. I currently have some parts on order which I will use to build a WHS box which I would like to put all my media on. I also have a Xbox 360 that I'd like to use as a media extender. Couple questions:

2. I know Sage is used alot here. However, I have no idea what it does. I'd obviously like to minimize any hardware purchases and the number of User Interfaces I have to use. On the same lines, I'm pretty sure Mainlobby and CQC could do this, however, I'd like to avoid a full blown automation system for a while.

I have my media on a WHS which runs Sage for WHS. DVD's are ripped to this box with AnyDVD and My Movies. Sage distributes TV, ripped dvd's, music, photos throughout the house on th LAN to other computers running SageTV client or to TV's with the Sage HD 200 set top box. It works perfectly but I'd have to say that setting up Sage, my Hauppage card, Hauppage HD PVR etc was not something to be undertaken lightly. There is no comprehensive how to make it all work together manual (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'd really like to see it). It took quite a few hours of experimentation and SageTV forum browsing to get it to this place. That being said, for the end-user, it's absolutely great.

I believe DVD Shrink will make you an exact backup and when replaying it you get whatever audio options the original had. It also seems to take care of the copyright protection. It's bit hard to find but still possible. I don't think it's being supported anymore but i've had no issues with it.

You can use the program to selectively rip bits and pieces and recode/transcode so that it fits on a burnable disc (for backup purposes only ofcourse) or you use use 'No Compression' and take the entire disc (usually about 6GB). If wanted you can also later import then and recode./transcode to a smaller format to fit on a disc.

I belive this used the VOB format...but not sure..will check when i get home.

DVD43 or AnyDVD are programms that will bypass the copyright protection. For DVD Shrink this is not needed, but i used them to allow SageTV to play a physical DVD that is actually in a DVD drive in anoher PC than the SageTV server...works like a charm. Server is in the basement but if we want to watch a DVD i pop it in the kitchen computer. The normal DVD player is sitting in the basement unconnected and collecting dust.

Depending on your hardware ripping a disc can take between 5 and 50 minutes or so...

I believe DVD Shrink will make you an exact backup and when replaying it you get whatever audio options the original had. It also seems to take care of the copyright protection. It's bit hard to find but still possible. I don't think it's being supported anymore but i've had no issues with it.

You can use the program to selectively rip bits and pieces and recode/transcode so that it fits on a burnable disc (for backup purposes only ofcourse) or you use use 'No Compression' and take the entire disc (usually about 6GB). If wanted you can also later import then and recode./transcode to a smaller format to fit on a disc.

I belive this used the VOB format...but not sure..will check when i get home.

DVD43 or AnyDVD are programms that will bypass the copyright protection. For DVD Shrink this is not needed, but i used them to allow SageTV to play a physical DVD that is actually in a DVD drive in anoher PC than the SageTV server...works like a charm. Server is in the basement but if we want to watch a DVD i pop it in the kitchen computer. The normal DVD player is sitting in the basement unconnected and collecting dust.

Depending on your hardware ripping a disc can take between 5 and 50 minutes or so...

I use anyDVD and CloneDVD to rip and backup my movies then I use Handbrake to convert them to the format I want. Right now I have all my moves ripped as video_TS files and I use MYDVDs to play them it Media center or I us VLC player. All my movies are ripped with 5.1 surround sound.

Thanks for the replies. Something I didn't mention is I'm only interested in watching the video on my tv's, no computer viewing necessary.

So for Sage, if I wanted to stream my dvd rips to a tv I would need the set top box, HD200 and Sage for WHS? From there I would be able to view the DVD's from my TV with cover art using Sages UI? For some reason I think there is more. I vaguely know about My Movies...is that needed for this?

@TheWireGuy: What settings on Handbrake do you use to keep the surround sound? Can you play this format over a media extender?

yes for your sage stuff, MyMovies isn't needed if you just want the cover art. I manually download that and put into my folder rips.

It can't use that xBox 360 to display the SageUI, but I think the HD200 is generally an awesome solution. I'm currently using it to watch BluRay rips too, that's pretty cool.

Ok, so it looks like I would be able to use the Sage hardware/software to play back my video library from the WHS box. Where do folks buy the box, directly from the sagetv site? Or is there a less expensive source?

Anyone have an idea about the multi room audio? I know I can build a rig with the Delta M-410 (or the new version), some stereo amps, and some more software (J River? Grinder? I'm not even sure) to accomplish this, but is there another way with the common multzone/source hardware on the market were I would have professional keypads to control the music?

If you want an exact copy of your dvd's just use anydvd and manually copy the video_ts folder to your hard drive. It'll take up a lot of space but it is an exact copy and so easy to do!
I recommend MyMovies, I dont understand a previous post saying if you want cover art you dont need my movies since thats what it does but, MyMovies will rip the exact dvd also and it automatically assigns cover art. It will also give you a "file" option that the xbox will play.

If you want an exact copy of your dvd's just use anydvd and manually copy the video_ts folder to your hard drive. It'll take up a lot of space but it is an exact copy and so easy to do!
I recommend MyMovies, I dont understand a previous post saying if you want cover art you dont need my movies since thats what it does but, MyMovies will rip the exact dvd also and it automatically assigns cover art. It will also give you a "file" option that the xbox will play.

I agree, My Movies is a very convenient way to get the cover art, data on the movie. It has trouble ripping some DVD's but if you rip them with AnyDVD and then import your Videos folder into My Movies, it will retrieve data on the movie from it's online data base. To get that capability, though, you pay for points either with cash or by contributing movie information. It's a confusing scheme at first.

Couple questions:

1. By data on the movie, do you mean MyMovie displays a synopsis, length, etc in Sage when I'm browsing the titles?
2. If I don't use MyMovies, I can put a jpg of the cover art in the VOB folder of the movie and it displays in Sage?
3. Does anyone know if the Harmony remotes can duplicate the Sage HD200 remote?

2. If I don't use MyMovies, I can put a jpg of the cover art in the VOB folder of the movie and it displays in Sage?
Yes, name it folder.jpg, and it will show up using the regular video browser, that's how I do it.

3. Does anyone know if the Harmony remotes can duplicate the Sage HD200 remote?
Shouldn't be a problem, it's not a special IR signal (e.g., Dish or Windows MCE), I actually use my MediaMVP remotes to control my Sage HD100. SageTV also allows you to program a different remote into the system, so if it doesn't work, simply load some random profile on the Harmony, and learn it.

Back