RC-1000 issue

Steve

I had just hooked up a new RC-1000 and having an issue with it. It is wired as a basic single stage conventional stat. It is replacing a Honeywell VisionPro and the wiring is identical. The problem is when turning the mode to Cool, I hear the relay click and all appears to work, but the compressor does not turn on. I actually hear a slight hum or buzz from the compressor unit but nothing else. Thinking it may be an issue with the compressor I decided to put the Honeywell stat back first. When I did, it worked fine again. So it appears like it wants to work just the compressor won't kick in but everything else including the fan works fine. Any ideas?

Can you identify the wires you have connected?

Also, when you engage a call for cool or heat, does an arrow/triangle appear next to Heat/Cool? If so, is it solid or flashing?

It's wired just like on Page 6. My cable is 4 wires - Red, White, Blue, Green. Red to 24V - Pin 1/2, White (W1) to Heat - Pin 6, Blue(Yellow) to Cool - Pin 7, Green to Fan - Pin 8. IIRC, Yes, there was a sideways solid triangle next to cool and I believe it was solid.

It's wired just like on Page 6. My cable is 4 wires - Red, White, Blue, Green. Red to 24V - Pin 1/2, White (W1) to Heat - Pin 6, Blue(Yellow) to Cool - Pin 7, Green to Fan - Pin 8. IIRC, Yes, there was a sideways solid triangle next to cool and I believe it was solid.

The wiring seems correct. When cool is turned on the 24VAC should be applied to pin 7, but in your case it seem as this is not so. This leads me to think you have a power stealing problem. Try and turn off the backlight to see if it fixes the problem. If this does fix the problem, you will need to find the right backlight intensity that your system that will allow you to have without running a common (the amount of current you can power steal is a factor of the type of HVAC relays you have).

Ryan

Ok, so I hooked it back up with backlight off and it worked fine. Then I turned the backlight back on to where it was (7) and it still worked fine :) So I turned the backlight down to 5 just for good measure and hope it continues to work. Maybe it was something hinky with a loose wire or something??? Anyway, as long as it works. Thanks!

BTW, It is a very nice stat. Have not hooked it up for control yet, but even standalone so far its very nice. The proximity sensor for the auto backlight is GOLD! If nothing else the wife loves that. The old stat as nice as it was you had to press the screen to get the backlight on and it was pretty sensitive to certain spots so half the time you engaged a certain function just to turn backlight on. Can't wait to get a cable run and start controlling it automatically.

Steve,
The solution could of been as simple as the wires were not connected tightly the first time. It could also be a power stealing issue and 7 is on the threshold of what your relays can handle. Leaving it on 5 is a safe idea. If you really desire a higher backlight intensity (up to 10), you can either run a common or get a thermostat power supply module, in which you attach to the air handler, which will allow your relays to power steal more power. Be aware that not every color consumes the same power. Colors that will require a mix of different colors (purple, orange etc...) will draw more power than a single color. If you are having a power stealing limitation, you may have to reduce the intensity on the multi-color hues farther than a single color hue (usually only by 1 intensity).

Ryan

I'll keep an eye on it. There won't be many situations for a call for cooling. I must be one of the few nuts having the A/C on in the middle of December, but it got up to about 82 and we prefer it 77-80. I think a backlight of 5 should be fine but again we'll see. When it is hooked up to remote I don't see alot of need for it anyway as it will be controlled mostly by touchscreen interface. IIRC it is set to color 60? Blue. Thanks for the help Ryan.

Back