Email from Elk

Mike P

Hi,

I am trying to get my Elk to notify me of a few things. Alarms and such are done through the CS. I am not having much luck. I am trying to email my cell. I have in the xep page entered the address and I have wrote a few rules. Can't seem to get it going. when in the xep page I try the TEST button and get a response back that connection may have been terminated, Try again or Cancel. I am connected and everything else works fine. My connection is via network. My knowlage of networks is not that good, But getting better every day. I suspect my network setting are not correct. Any suggestions as to what I should check first? :)

Thanks,
Mike

Make sure to have the lastest firmware of the XEP. Some firmware versions had problems with DNS lookups, so you might do better entering the IP address of the SMTP server instead of the domain name. Some versions had problems with SMTP servers requiring authentications, so you could do better with server that does not require it (less common lately).

There were several discussion of this topic here and in the Elk forum.

I'm in a similar boat - but I don't get an error - I get a message saying I should receive the e-mail within a few minutes, and never do... Anyone seen that one?

Is what I had to do, was create another email account with my ISP specifically for the M1. Most ISP's allow you to have multiple email accounts for free. Since I did that, the M1 works perfectly. I also use the M1 to send me text messages to my phone.

Is what I had to do, was create another email account with my ISP specifically for the M1. Most ISP's allow you to have multiple email accounts for free. Since I did that, the M1 works perfectly. I also use the M1 to send me text messages to my phone.
Works for me...ver 5.1.4 firmware.. I have an IP address specified for the mailserver an use an existing mail account... my mail server is my own within my network

I too have never been able to get this to work. Everytime I go to test the setup I get disconnected from the system and can not reconnect without rebooting the XEP. I have the latest firmware in all devices. Very frustrationg.

Is there a good tutorial on the setup so I can definitely rule out what I am doing with my setup?

Cheers,

Fleetz

I've tried it with both Verizon DSL using a Dynamic DNS for the external address and a static IP for the internal (router) address. Did the same thing with Verizon Fios. Zip on both. Homeseer, however, works perfectly using the same settings (just a different internal static IP, of course). So, Homeseer sends me text messages, etc., but I'd really like to move as much as possible over to the Elk (no moving parts, no hard drive, no Windows) for reliability and for when we sell the house one day.

I had probems getting email on the M1XEP working properly. The only way I could get it working was to use an IP address for the "Server URL/IP Address" field. Also make sure the FROM address is valid for the SMTP IP address (or your email will be silently ignored). I also recommend testing your settings manually as follows:

Assuming you're using Windows XP, type everything in bold below.

1) From the command line ( Start > Run > Cmd), obtian the IP address for your mail server

[sub]C:\>nslookup
Default Server: WRT01
Address: 192.168.1.1

> set type=a
> smtp.mail.somedomain.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: smtp.mail.somedomain.com
Address: 64.233.207.14[/sub]

2) Telnet to port 25 using the IP address obtained above.

[sub]telnet 64.233.207.14 25
220 pop-7.dnv.somedomain.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:45:35 -0500
helo mediacenter1.mydomain.com
250 pop-7.dnv.somedomain.com Hello [x.x.x.x], pleased to meet you
mail from:<[email protected]>
250 2.1.0 <[email protected]>... Sender ok
rcpt to:<[email protected]>
250 2.1.5 <[email protected]>... Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
Subject: This is a test message
To: Ultrajones<[email protected]>

This is the body of the message.

250 2.0.0 m9PEjZwT011564 Message accepted for delivery[/sub]

If this test was successful, then your Elk M1EXP should have no problems sending SMTP email.

Regards,
Ultrajones

I have FIOS and it works perfectly. The only strange thing I did was create another email account under Verizons profile page, and plugged in the info. If anyone needs help with FIOS setup, let me know. The M1 also sends me text messages with no problem.

OK,

Enter your M1XEP setup screen

On your TCP/IP settings, create a static address. Verizons DNS servers are 4.2.2.1, and 4.2.2.2.
If you are not sure how to find your default gateway, i can help. If you are using the Verizon suppled Actiontec router, then most likely it is 192.168.1.1 as your gateway, with 255.255.255.0 as your subnet, and you can enter any static IP you would like between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255.

Your sever URL/IP address is outgoing.verizon.net on port 25
Your FROM email address is the email address you wish to use
Your username is [email protected]
And enter the same password you use to enter your online Verizon email account.

Under email addresses, enter the email address you would like info sent to
Under Message, enter the message you would like emailed

You can also get this thing to text message you by using your cell phone phone number and its messaging default.

Here are some common ones.

T-Mobile: [email protected]
Virgin Mobile: [email protected]
Cingular: [email protected]
Sprint: [email protected]
Verizon: [email protected]
Nextel: [email protected]

Once you set it up, click the SEND button at the bottom of the page and you should be good.
Hope this helps.

Back