Looking for a floodlight fixture, equipped with a NC/NO motion sensor.

electron

Administrator
Staff member
So I really have to get rid of my X-10 based flood lights, since lightning keeps turning them on, and I can't turn them off (not even a breaker reset will help) because I don't use X-10 anymore. I was hoping to find a regular fixture, which would come with a motion sensor, but instead of controlling the light directly, would just offer a NC/NO contact set.

I am planning on using a UPB light switch to control the light itself, so the motion sensor would be a nice big bonus. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

So I really have to get rid of my X-10 based flood lights, since lightning keeps turning them on, and I can't turn them off (not even a breaker reset will help) because I don't use X-10 anymore. I was hoping to find a regular fixture, which would come with a motion sensor, but instead of controlling the light directly, would just offer a NC/NO contact set.

I am planning on using a UPB light switch to control the light itself, so the motion sensor would be a nice big bonus. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

I haven't seen anything like you describe, however, I would assume that it would be pretty easy to modify a standard motion sensing flood light to do what you want. I'm sure the motion sensor in those flood lights simply trips a relay to turn the light on. If you can get one and open it up you should be able to wire it so that the light is on all the time (controlled by your switch) and then just run low voltage through the relay. It might take a bit of work, but I think it's feasable.

Brett

I expect to see a full working solution, with total parts cost under $5, written up in nice easy-to-follow instructions within 1 week, Dan. ;)

I have a couple of the Heath/Zenith motion detectors from Home Depot wired to control an outlet instead of the light fixture. I have a $3 12V wall wart pluggged into the outlet which energizes an elk 12V relay. This provides a dry contact input to my stargate with no need to modify the motion sensor and the wiring is all within code. If the sensor ever fails it is an easy swap since there were no special modifications needed.

BrettS: hacking them would definitely work, I am just trying to avoid having to do anything like that, unless I really have to.

upstatemike:Are these motion detectors part of your floodlights? The reason I would like it 'all in one' is that it looks normal, if I place an external motion sensor anywhere else, it will look out of place.

beelzerob: consider it done ;)

BrettS: hacking them would definitely work, I am just trying to avoid having to do anything like that, unless I really have to.

I had a little while, so I just spent some time searching for something like that and came up empty handed. About the closest I came was one page where someone mentioned a floodlight with a motion sensor that also had an external output so the relay could be used with an alarm system or something. Unfortunately it was a very old page and they didn't mention an actual product, so I don't even know if something like that actually exists (I couldn't find anything despite my searching). Even it if did exist it would still require some modification if you wanted your light to operate independantly of the motion sensor.

I'm thinking that there's really just not a market for a product like that. While I can understand what you're trying to do I just don't think enough people would want something like that to make it worthwhile for a company to produce such a thing. I think you'll probably have to go for the hacking option or a seperate motion sensor.

Brett

I guess I'll just go ahead and buy a regular fixture, and working on the motion sensing later.

upstatemike:Are these motion detectors part of your floodlights? The reason I would like it 'all in one' is that it looks normal, if I place an external motion sensor anywhere else, it will look out of place.

Yes, it is a motion/floodlight combo but the fixture needs extra wires. (mine feed from the garage so it was no problem.) You need hot, neutral, and ground to power the motion sensor, plus a switched hot to feed back to the outlet with the wall wart, plus a switched hot from an automation switch (mine is an insteon switch inside the garage) to feed the floodlight bulbs.

***Edit***

Even though these are combo units they consist of light fixtures and motion sensor attached to standard waterproof covers. If the motion sensor fails you can get another one at HD for $10 and replace just that part.

Mine is just a switch, you can either use it or bypass it. I'll see if it works at 12vdc but i kinda doubt it.

Yes, it is a motion/floodlight combo but the fixture needs extra wires. (mine feed from the garage so it was no problem.) You need hot, neutral, and ground to power the motion sensor, plus a switched hot to feed back to the outlet with the wall wart, plus a switched hot from an automation switch (mine is an insteon switch inside the garage) to feed the floodlight bulbs.
That almost sounds like what I am looking for. Do you remember the model # or price range? I couldn't find such animal on the HD site.

That almost sounds like what I am looking for. Do you remember the model # or price range? I couldn't find such animal on the HD site.

It is the standard Heath/Zenith stuff. These are just regular motion sensors on a standard round outdoor cover with 2 light fixtures. The wires for the fixtures and motion sensors are all separate so it is easy to wire as I have described. I used a short piece of watertight flex conduit to the box so I could put 5 wires in it. This runs from a 3 gang box in the garage where I have the insteon switch that runs the light fixtures, the duplex outlet that operates from the motion sensor, and a regular switch so I can kill power to the fixture for servicing the sensor.

I just purchased this model at Home Depot. A quick look reveals exposed wiring going from the motion sensor, so hopefully I can play with that. It also supports manual override, but don't think it can be used, as it requires the switch to be pushed for 1 second. 180" and 70 ft range, so hopefully I can use this motion sensor.

I just purchased this model at Home Depot. A quick look reveals exposed wiring going from the motion sensor, so hopefully I can play with that. It also supports manual override, but don't think it can be used, as it requires the switch to be pushed for 1 second. 180" and 70 ft range, so hopefully I can use this motion sensor.
Dan, that appears to be a Heath/Zenith device; in fact it appears to be identical to the one I installed. I wasn't able to locate the manual for the one you linked, but if is like mine, the manual override does not require that the switch be physically held for one second. Rather, it requires the power (switch) to be turned off for one second, then back on. This works perfectly with my ISY-controlled INSTEON in-wall relay switch. A push of my remote button has the ISY turn the switch off, wait one second, and turn it back on, which activates/deactivates the manual override.

One thing to watch is now that you have an outlet tied to the motion sensor, make sure you don't plug anything into it that will exceed the current rating of the motion sensor's contacts. If it's not listed I would not exceed the ratings of the bulbs (since you know it was designed to at least switch that load).

Back