Label maker of choice?

beelzerob

I remember when I had asked for prewiring advice that a lot of people mentioned getting a good label maker. Well, of course I didn't listen, but I managed to label most of my wires with white electrical tape and a sharpie. :)

However, now I'm finally terminating stuff for real, and so now I want things to look GOOOOD. Is there a favorite type of label maker that is the HA generally accepted tool of use, for labeling wires as well as maybe terminals on a patch panel?

I remember when I had asked for prewiring advice that a lot of people mentioned getting a good label maker. Well, of course I didn't listen, but I managed to label most of my wires with white electrical tape and a sharpie. :)

However, now I'm finally terminating stuff for real, and so now I want things to look GOOOOD. Is there a favorite type of label maker that is the HA generally accepted tool of use, for labeling wires as well as maybe terminals on a patch panel?
I have a Rhino 3000 and it does a great job. I really like the ability to print on many different types of label material including shrink wrap. It costs $100, but is worth it IMHO.

I'm too cheap for a dedicated label machine. I printed a spreadsheet with my labels, cut them out, and secured under clear heat shrink tubing. I like the results, and it is cost effective; nearly free. There are a couple examples on the center board.

ZipTies.JPG

I'm using the Rhino 1000. Works great- I'm still using up the nylon that came with it. Does tend to eat batteries though. I'd still buy it again.

I know mine is a Rhino, and was something between $100 - $200 (with some extra label supplies - impulse buy at EHX), so maybe it is a 3000. Anyway, works good for me.

EDIT: Yup, used it last night...Rhino 3000.

I also use the Rhino (a 5000). It's not cheap, but well worth the money if you have a lot of terminations to make.

You can get the 5000 for $90 + shipping right now from Tiger Direct.

Well, I guess this answers the "clear favorite" question!

A Rhino x000 of some kind....

The main difference in the models is the width of stock they will accept. If you are mainly using it for cables, wider is better. Since they are printing sideways, your get more characters the wider the tape.

I think 1000 = 1/2" 3000 = 3/4" 5000 = 1"

I prefer the yellow nylon tape myself for doing cables.

Brian

Well, thanks for all your guy's input...you definitely answered my questions, and Brian's link almost made me order one on the spot....

but alas....I believe Photon has the one I'm going to get. I failed to get approved funding for a fancy labeller. :) I guess she's right in a way....the labeller costs more than the 2-post network rack I'm hoping to be able to find on ebay. I tried to sell her on its uses for her own stuff, but she's plenty happy with printing labels on the printer. And with a deck, lawn, and shower all causing us to leak money...it's probably better I make do with less right now.

Oh well. I hate it when she makes me see reason! :)

Cost is why I went with the 1000. ;-) ~$40, and the narrow tapes are cheaper too. They seem to stick pretty darn well for me- I've even peeled them off and re-stuck them.

I gotta be different :). Had a Rhino 5000 and is printed horrible. Did not center properly and wasted 'width'. So I went with a Brother P-Touch 1650 and its worked great. Rhino's have more stuff for pro's p-touch as more formatting. Rhino nylon tape i nicer but there is a hack to use Panduit tape in a p-touch to get same nylon. Either was you go Provantage.com had the best prices on labelers that I've found.

I use the Thomas & Betts EZL100. The machine itself is real nice but the only downfall is the price of the replacement tapes.

Back