Iostream212 wiring project

iostream212

Here are a few photos and thoughts after completing a massive structured wiring panel upgrade.
It all started humbly with the Elk starter can.
It was a nice home for a while but not enough to handle all the components I needed for a full home automation install.
As you can see the can is pretty much maxed out. This is located in my master closet because this is where the alarm prewiring ended.

100_0544.jpg

The plan is to:
1.) Install a new larger can
2.) Bring power to it
3.) Build a wall around it giving the illusion that the can is flush mounted.
The wall behind the can didn't allow me to flush mount the can because of what was already in the wall.

Here is a shot of the new can before install. (Leviton 42")
100_0546.jpg

Here are a few shots after I began framing.
The smurf tube had been run to the attic at this point. I am still bummed cause Home Depot only had 3/4" tubing available. Oh well. I am using nylon spacers and orange clamps from Smarthome to secure the tubing to the can.

Misc080.jpg

Here is a shot of the bottom of the can at this phase.
Here I am connecting the power I ran from the attic into the awesomely cool and overpriced surge protection receptacle. You can also see a few posts that I used to mount my boards. I wanted a streamline look and didn't want to clutter the box with adapter plates. Instead I used a metal drill bit and drilled holes into the can where I wanted to mount items. Then I used nylon spacers from Home Depot (they're in the pull out drawers with the other specialty screws and hardware). This gave me the nice look I wanted and also allowed me to route wires behind the raised components.

Misc087.jpg

Here is a shot after the drywall went up.

Misc090.jpg

Drywall sanding and texture

closet013.jpg

The wall after texture and paint.

closet021.jpg

Finished can.
I made a custom frame with a cherry stain and plexiglass insert.
Also a little drama lighting never hurt

closet045.jpg

closet046.jpg

Looks great! What did you use for drama lighting? The neon lights for computer cases?

Yep, and only $5 off eBay for 2 lights. The power inverters are 12 volts so it is easily powered by the ELK board.

As an update I recently added a relay board and hooked up the irrigation system to it. Between all that and the eKeypad M1 for iPod I am in home automation heaven! What to do next?

It does look great, nice job. I'm curious about your custom door. How did you make the door? Did you use regular trim molding or picture frame molding? Did you have to route a lip for the plexi? Where did you get plexi that big (I thought HD and Lowes only had smaller sheets). What kind of hinge did you use - a large piano hinge? Did you find one that lines up with the can holes? I have been considering a plexi door but the Channel Vision ones are too expensive, and I did not want to screw on the plexi. This seems like a great way to do it if the parts were readily available and costs reasonable.

It does look great, nice job. I'm curious about your custom door. How did you make the door? Did you use regular trim molding or picture frame molding? Did you have to route a lip for the plexi? Where did you get plexi that big (I thought HD and Lowes only had smaller sheets). What kind of hinge did you use - a large piano hinge? Did you find one that lines up with the can holes? I have been considering a plexi door but the Channel Vision ones are too expensive, and I did not want to screw on the plexi. This seems like a great way to do it if the parts were readily available and costs reasonable.

The door frame was made from a regular piece of stock oak from Lowes. Just cut the sides and length to desired dimensions and then joined with pocket screws.
101_1166.jpg

Then I used a roundover bit on the router to ease the edges on the front of the frame.
101_1164.jpg

Flipped it over and used a rabbeting bit to hold the plexi.
The plexi was from Lowes, and yes they have a pretty good selection in sizes and thicknesses. The cost wasn't too bad and they provided free cutting with the purchase of the sheet. I just gave them my specs and it was ripped to perfection. The plexi is held in with little tabs, also from Lowes. To attach I used a large piano hinge.
101_1167.jpg

The hinge is not attached to the can, as you can see, but rather to the stud next to the can.
Estimated breakdown:
Wood: $6
Plexi: $20
Stain: $5
Hinge: $8
Total: $39

Where did you get your wire duct with the cap that you used?

I got them after reading Dan Electron's post in his showcase from CableOrganizer.com.
The product is easy to work with. I cut it to length with a finishing blade on my miter saw. Just cut nice and slow to avoid chipping. The only problem is trying to take those caps off to add new wires in the future. I have done it three times since the original install and it is never easy. When those caps are on, especially for longer runs, they are on!

Back